I archive one month of past shows. I used to archive two months, but I accidentally deleted one. So it goes. If you really, really want to hear something from earlier podcasts, please go to the Contact page and send me a request. I should be able to dig it up for you. Thanks!
The Radical Songbook
August 2023 Playlist
Sing Me a Song with Social Significance/ Rebel Voices/ https://rebelvoices.com/
I Heard a Rumor/ David Rovics/ www.davidrovics.com
Louder Than Guns/ Friction Farm/ https://frictionfarm.com/
We Can Do Better/ Robert Bidney/ http://robertbidney.com/
When Will It Stop/ Robert Bidney/ http://robertbidney.com/
If They Come in the Morning/ Len Wallace/ https://worldaccordion.tripod.com/
In Contempt/ Rebel Voices/ https://rebelvoices.com/
Whatever You Say, Say Nothing/ Anne Feeney/ https://annefeeney.bandcamp.com/
Looters/ Leon Rosselson/ https://leonrosselson.co.uk/
Who Reaps the Profit? Who Pays the Price?/ Leon Rosselson/ https://leonrosselson.co.uk/
I’m Going Where the Suits Will Shine My Shoes/ Leon Rosselson/ https://leonrosselson.co.uk/
A family friendly recipe
4 cups water
1 cup granulated sugar (or a sugar substitute that will dissolve)
¾ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (use fresh lemons, not bottled juice which could result in bitterness); approximately 3 lemons. Or substitute one orange for one of the lemons.
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest (avoid the bitter white pith)
1. Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a medium size sauce pan. Remove from heat.
2. Add 1 cup of granulated sugar and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Allow the sugar water to cool to room temperature.
3. Add ¾ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of finely grated lemon zest.
4. Pour the lemon water mixture into an 8” x 8” baking dish. Place the dish in the freezer.
5. Remove the dish from the freezer. Gently stir the mixture. Return to the freezer. Repeat this step every 30 minutes or so until the lemon mixture is crystallized and smooth but not frozen sold. This will take approximately 3 hours.
6. When you can no longer stir the mixture, scrape it with a fork as it continues to freeze to the desired consistency (you decide).
7. Scoop the lemon ice into small cups (½ cup per serving), and serve immediately.
Optional garnishes: mint leafs, fresh raspberries or raspberry sauce, chocolate shavings, a compatible liqueur like Cointreau.
Store the left over lemon ice in the freezer. If it is frozen solid when you would like to serve it, move it to the refrigerator until it is soft enough to scoop. Or, break the ice into chunks, place it in a food processor or blender and pulse until smooth.
Kathryn’s Haiku for August 2023
Written on August 10, 2012
happy birthday bill
white t-shirt and khaki pants
fishing for crappies
August 10, 2023, is the hundredth anniversary of my father’s birth. This haiku is for him.
The beautiful music that accompanies my haiku is excerpted from “Breath” by my cousin Tim Fox. Thank you, Tim!
You can hear more of Tim’s music, learn about jazz, see where he will be performing live, and much more on his website roaringforkjazz.org.